English is organised into the following strands:
- Speaking and Listening
- Reading and Viewing
- Writing and Representing
- Handwriting and Using Digital Technologies
- Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation and Vocabulary
In English, students develop knowledge, skills and understanding about the English language and literature. When students engage in planned learning experiences they develop the ability to talk, listen, read, view and write with purpose, effect and confidence.
- Learning to read widely with understanding and for enjoyment
- Spelling accurately
- Writing grammatically in a variety of forms
- Listening and communication
- Critically assessing good literature and aspects of the media
An uninterrupted English Block is allocated each morning in every class at Corpus Christi, where a dedicated period of two hours is devoted exclusively to literacy development.