The challenge for 2019 officially opened on March 4th and runs until August 30th for students. However, children can include any books read from 1st September 2018.
The challenge is an initiative of the NSW Government and aims to encourage a love of reading for leisure and pleasure in students, and to enable them to experience quality literature. It is not a competition but a challenge to each student to read, to read more and to read more widely.
We support the challenge by having books available at school for the students to borrow and reading time in the library at lunch on Monday and Tuesday. There is an extensive list of books in the library for each reading level (K-2, 3-4, 5-6 and 7-9) depending on your child’s reading ability.
When students complete the PRC:
• they will be validated and their name will appear in the school newsletter and website.
• their names will be added to a chart in the library to track their class progress.
• they receive a PRC Certificate at the end of the year.
• the class with the highest percentage of students to complete the PRC will receive a reward.
• for 4 years they receive a Gold Award
• for 7 years they receive a Platinum Award.